Monday, April 30, 2007
Welcome to the first official post at Barstool Mountain, the companion piece, and eventual home, to Big Rock Candy Mountain's Top 100 Drinking Songs Of All Time, a list painfully pored through and voted on by a group of your peers.
Since it's virtually impossible to limit any list to a top anything, the future of this site will be much more than to merely house the initial list after it's run its course on Big Rock Candy Mountain.
What you'll get here is drinking songs. Lots and lots of drinking songs. A veritable moonshine still's worth. All the moonshine stills of Kentucky. We could go on.
Eventually we'll have a post on each of the songs from the Top 100 list, but sprinkled about will be posts about the songs that got votes but didn't make the final cut. We'll also feature new discoveries, terrible drinking songs, and anything else that tickles our elephants pink.
I'm also making an offer. If you've got a song that you feel was unjustly left out of the Top 100, and you've got a jones to tell the world all about it, or if you've been bitten by the writing bug, this is your chance. I'm opening up this site to all comers. Wanna write a post on Barstool Mountain? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave me a message in the comments. We'd be happy to have as many contributors as there are drinking songs.
For the next two weeks, though, we're going to mirror the main list at Big Rock Candy Mountain, only working backwards. Out of over 400 songs the judges considered for the Top 100, we got 286 songs receiving votes. Which leaves 186 orphans, if my math is correct. So while we're counting down elsewhere, we'll be counting up through the remainders, 101-286. Doesn't that sound like fun?
For the record, the 101st song missed the Big Time by only 2 votes.
Please enjoy, and tell me what you think. See you tomorrow.
101. Thunderbird ESQ (The Gories)(mp3)
102. Big Rock Candy Mountain (Harry McClintock)
103. Carrickfergus (Van Morrison w/The Chieftains)
104. Wine Me Up (Faron Young)
105. Me And My Gin (Bessie Smith)
106. The Letter That Johnny Walker Read (Asleep At The Wheel)
107. Gettin' Drunk (Johnny "Guitar Watson)
108. I Know Who Threw The Whiskey In The Well (Bull Moose Jackson)
109. Warm Beer And Cold Women (Tom Waits)
110. A Girl Don't Have To Drink To Have Fun (Wanda Jackson)
111. Drinkin' My Baby Goodbye (The Charlie Daniels Band)
112. Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers (ZZ Top)
113. I Think She Likes Me (Treat Her Right)
114. Beer Drinking Christians (Bobby Bare)
115. Talking Thunderbird Blues (Townes Van Zandt)
116. Jockey Full Of Bourbon (Tom Waits)
117. I Drink Alone (George Thorogood)
118. Take A Drink On Me (Charlie Poole)
119. Wine, Women, And Song (Loretta Lynn)
120. Rot Gut (Wynonie Harris)