Friday, November 9, 2007

Smokey The Bar




















Damn.

Sad news.

We lost Hank Thompson.

I'm continuing a post from over at Big Rock Candy Mountain, where I have a longer tribute to the great man, and one of our all time favorites at the Mountains. Head on over and read it, if you're so inclined.

Thompson placed three songs in The Big Rock Candy Mountain Top 100 Drinking Songs, and could easily have had more. He was one of the great practitioners of the Country suds 'n' bubbles tradition, possibly only bested by George Jones.

You're only half a drinker if you haven't spent a late evening with a bottle and Thompson's classic album "A Six Pack To Go".

On this site, I'll let Hank's music speak for itself. Below we've got his three songs from the Top 100, and a bonus.

Raise a toast for Hank, then. A great big glass.


Hank Thompson: A Six Pack To Go (mp3)

Hank Thompson: On Tap, In The Can, Or In The Bottle (mp3)


Hank Thompson: Hangover Tavern (mp3)


Hank Thompson: Smoky The Bar (mp3)

Please support your local, independent Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Suds'n'bubbles" indeed! This is the kinda stuff that makes me want to have one more, even though I've had far too much already. Great post (on both blogs). I'm already hoisting a few in honour of Hank.

Anonymous said...

As a connoisseur and an occasional beer brewer I raise my glass of Bavarian Ayinger Celebrator to Hank. Come Saturday at the American-German club "10-17" in Charleston, SC I'm gonna devote at least one German beer drinking song, performed on my almost 100 y old accordion, to him. - Prosit!

Anonymous said...

The Brazos Valley will never be the same. Thanks for the posts (and the blogs).