Tuesday, May 8, 2007
And we keep going. The supplement to Big Rock Candy Mountain's Top 100 Drinking Songs.
We decided we needed a theme song here at Barstool Mountain. And a Patron Saint. The theme song was easy. Look at the title of the blog.
The Patron Saint, well, we had to think about it a bit. Winston Churchill leapt to mind initially. There were some obvious choices amongst the musicians: George Jones, Shane MacGowan, Merle Haggard, Tom Waits, Mark Eitzel, Johnny Paycheck, Wynonie Harris, etc. We thought about some actors: Richard Burton, Errol Flynn, W.C. Fields, Richard Harris, Oliver Reed. Authors seemed to be an easy target: James Joyce, William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Dylan Thomas, Jim Thompson, Frederick Exley. Hell, the list goes on.
We finally decided that we could ask for no better Patron than Saint Dino himself. Dean Martin was the essence of cool. While Frank raged and Sammy joked, Dean was as smooth as honey, the personification of the Space Age Bachelor Pad man of leisure. There are rumours that Dino preferred to sit in his hotel room and watch Westerns rather than cavort with the ladies. No matter. Folks have even gone so far as to suggest that there was apple juice in his tumbler and club soda in his martini glass. No matter. It's the persona that matters. And don't forget the voice. A lazy perfection of tossed-off devil-may-care delivery. We love Dean, and welcome his as the Patron Saint of Barstool Mountain.
Here's more of the list.
221. Guinness (Crawling Chaos)
222. Double Crossing Whiskey (Stick McGhee)
223. Bartender's Blues (Johnny Bond)
224. Corn Whiskey (Jimmy Witherspoon)
225. Drunk, That's All (Laverne Ray)
226. Gary's Song (American Music Club)
227. The Pub With No Beer (Traditional)
228. Must've Been Drunk (George Jones and Merle Haggard)
229. Straight Tequila Night (John Anderson)
230. Whiskey, Women, and Loaded Dice (Joe Liggins and the Honeydrippers)
231. Drink Up and Be Somebody (Merle Haggard)
232. Good Liquor Gonna Carry Me Down (Big Bill Broonzy)
233. Cold Gin (KISS)
234. Aged and Mellow Blues (Little Esther)
235. If I'm Gonna Sink (Johnny Paycheck)
236. Juiced (Billy Love)
237. Drunken Barrel House Blues (Memphis Minnie)
238. Beer For Breakfast (The Replacements)
239. Cherry Wine (Charlie Feathers)
240. Too Many Bubbles (Jay Chevalier)